Algeria’s great mining potential is insufficiently exploited, both to satisfy the national needs in mineral substances and to participate in the diversification of exports.
Algeria has a huge mining sector that’s rich and attractive but not yet ambitiously explored. There is a need to explore it more, either directly by Sonatrach or in partnership with foreign companies.
Outside hydrocarbons, the valuation of Algeria’s mineral resources, will make it possible to substitute in the short term the equivalent of $ 500 million in mineral substances thanks to the openings of new exploitations (phosphate deposit of Bled El Hadba, manganese of Guetara, baryte in Draïssa, bentonite in Tlemcen ...) and plans for the development of existing entreprises with the rehabilitation and reopening of numerous mines (Chabet El-Hamra zinc, Ain Barbar feldspar in Annaba and Ichmloul barite in Batna, the marble deposits).
– Underexplored mining area with attractive potential (more than 60% of 1.6 million km3 mining area is unexplored)
– Important conventional reserves and unconventional resources (3rd world position in shale gas).
– Many decades of experience in vertically integrated oil and gas Activities.
– Proximity to important markets.
– Considerable and qualified human potential (1.5 million students in more than 150 academic institutions).