His Excellency the President of the Republic, Abdelaziz Bouteflika responds to the Algerian people's demand
In a letter addressed to the Algerian people, on March 11th, 2019, His Excellency the President of the Republic, Abdelaziz Bouteflika, responded to the Algerian people’s demand and announced major decisions, paving the way for the emerging of a new Republic in Algeria. Here are the main decisions:
- The President will not seek a fifth term in Office ;
- The presidential elections scheduled to be held on April 18th, 2019, will be postponed;
- There will be a reshuffling of the Government to address the requirement of accountability and the efficiency of the State action;
- A national convention will be called to write a new constitution by the end of 2019 that will be submitted to the people for a referendum. The Convention will be independent, inclusive and will be led by an independent, experienced and consensual national figure:
- The creation of an independent national electoral commission in charge exclusively of the organization and the oversight of the future presidential elections.
- During the transition, a new Government of national competencies will be formed with the task to oversee the missions of the public administration and the security services.
This announcement has been immediately followed by the signing of two presidential orders, naming M. Noureddine Bedoui, as a new Prime Minister and M. Ramtane Lamamra as a deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs.
The President of the Republic has also signed a presidential order terminating the duties of President of the High Independent Authority for Election Monitoring (HIISE), Abdelouahab Derbal, and the appointed members of this Authority.